Testing company fined over worker’s carbon monoxide death

The father of three from Nottingham was carrying out pile testing for Non Destructive Testing Services Limited at a construction site in Brixton, London in May 2012. The accommodation unit he was using was fitted to a vehicle and while he was inside it he was poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes generated by a gas appliance that was inside the unit.

The HSE found that the accommodation unit had been set up with two gas appliances, with associated pipework and gas bottles which had been stored within it for a number of years. There was also inadequate ventilation in the unit. The company had not planned out how the welfare unit would be equipped when deciding to fit it to the vehicle and failed to carry out suitable and sufficient inspections of the cabins over a long period of time.

Non Destructive Testing Services Limited of Nottingham, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act, 1974 and was fined £70,000 and ordered to pay costs of £45,944.

Speaking after the case HSE Inspector Darren Alldis said, “This case shows the importance of planning out properly the design of welfare accommodation. The consideration of risks associated with gas and carbon monoxide is essential. This unit should never have been set up in this way and posed a risk throughout the whole time it was being used.”

Assurity Consulting are leading experts in workplace health, safety and environmental compliance. Our team of air quality experts have worked in workplaces of all sizes, giving the responsible person reassurance that all spaces within their control are safe environments. For more information on the services we provide, and how we can help, please contact us on tel. +44 (0)1403 269375 or email us