Companies fined after worker suffers serious electrical burns

The 28-year-old man, who was employed by Park, Gate and Company Ltd (PGC), suffered extensive burns in December 2014. He was carrying out electrical work for Armstrong World Industries Limited (AWI) at a site in Gateshead. The employee cut a live cable which caused serious burns to his face, arms and hands.

An investigation by the HSE identified that both firms failed to adequately identify whether the cables were live or dead prior to work commencing. It was also found that Park Gate failed to provide employees with a specific safe system of work.

Park, Gate and Company Ltd of Kingstown Broadway, Kingstown Industrial Estate, Carlisle pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,012.52.

Armstrong World Industries Limited, of Armstrong House, Market Square, Uxbridge pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £400,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,082.92.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Victoria Crofton said, “There were serious failures on the part of both companies in this case. Electricity supplies should be made dead and proved to be dead before work starts.”

Assurity Consulting are leading experts in workplace health, safety and environmental compliance. For more information on our services, and how we can help you, please contact us on tel. +44 (0)1403 269375 or email us